Monday 6 July 2015

Prof. Jega resumes as lecturer at Bayero University, Kano


The immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Attahiru Jega, who left office last week, has returned to his University job.

Mr. Jega was sighted in his office at Bayero University Kano, where he was vice chancellor before his appointment as INEC boss in June 2010 by former President Goodluck Jonathan.


Until his appointment as vice chancellor, he had lectured in the department of political science. He once served as the national president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

On his arrival at BUK, Mr. Jega went to the office of the Vice Chancellor, Abubakar Rasheed, before he proceeded to his former office at the department of political science. He had revealed during a dinner organised in his honour by the Association of Vice Chancellors of Nigeria in Abuja on June 26 that he would be returning to his profession after his retirement from the Commission.

Kayode Idowu, the chief press secretary to the former INEC chairman, told PREMIUM TIMES Mr. Jega had always said he will return to teaching after his INEC job. Mr. Idowu could not however confirm whether the former electoral chief was in BUK on Monday.

Mr. Jega retired as INEC chairman last Tuesday upon completion of his five-year tenure. He was the only chairman of the electoral body to organise two national elections – 2011 and 2015 elections.
Sometime in March, Mr. Jega said he would not accept tenure renewal.

“I am grateful to God,” he said at the time. “I was asked to come and contribute my own quota to the national development and I have done my bit to the best of my ability.
“Whatever assignment one will do for five years – just like this difficult one, to me if one is able to successfully accomplish the task, someone else should be given the opportunity, because for me I am not interested and if I am requested to serve again, I will not do it, by God’s grace.”

No comments: