Wednesday 20 May 2015

30 Year insanity cured after 62-year-old woman was hit by vehicle









A good accident, recently occurred at Ugwuawarawa in Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu State. Thanks to the accident, a mentally-challenged 62 year old mother, Victoria, who was hit became sane again. 

It would have sent the 62-year-old mother of four to her grave, but instead it served as the beginning of her healing process from the protracted mental illness that bedeviled her.


For well over three decades, Mrs. Ugwu, popularly known as Mama Nnenna, battled with madness and many times gone stark naked as a result of her ill health.

An eyewitness revealed that after the accident, Mrs. Ugwu was rushed to Bishop Shanahan Hospital, Nsukka, by the driver of the car that hit her, though she refused all medical attention given to her by the hospital.

Confirming the incident, Mrs. Ugwu’s daughter, Nnenna, explained that “what happened to my mother can best be described as miraculous healing. I have never seen such a rapid healing. I am so happy that she is now recovering though we are currently facing challenges of getting money to buy her drugs regularly.
“Her drugs cost like N15,000 monthly but presently, I don’t have such kind of money. Even her feeding is becoming increasing difficult for me because I am the only person staying with her. I am just a staff of Nsukka Local Government Area and you know the salary is not forthcoming regularly.”
Asked where she has been when all these years her mother was ill: “I have been with my uncle. Each and every time I came around Total filling station and saw her tattered and picking refuse from dumpsites, I always felt so bad. It was always heart rending and too difficult to imagine.”
Ezeaku said: “Her problem started as far back as 1984. She started by taking her children to the streets and refuse dump to pick some food. When her husband’s relations saw what was happening, they took the children away from her and she came back to stay with her husband who was then a driver with the local education authority.
“Few years after this, her husband disappeared and I alerted his relations about the development and they started looking for him. Later, they found him dead somewhere in Nsukka and took him to his village and buried him. Mrs Victoria continued living here all alone amassing all sorts of refuse to her house since all these three decades.”
On her present situation, Ezeaku: “When we went to see her at the hospital after the accident and discovered that she couldn’t receive any medication from the hospital, I reported to the police for permission to take her back to her house and also to treat her using both orthodox and herbal medicines. I was given the permission and I brought her back here and since then, she has been getting better by the day.
“The only problem we have now is finance. I am a retired director in the Nsukka Local Government Education Authority. I have not received my gratuity neither has the government paid me pension since 2014 I retired. For this reason, I have no money to continue taking care of her medically and otherwise.”

Ezeaku, however, said some philanthropic individuals and organizations including the former Cathedral Administrator, Catholic Diocese of Nsukka, Rev. Fr. Uche Obodoechina, Vicar General, Monsignor Thaddeus Onoyima, Station Council, STC, GRA Women Wing Nsukka , Nsukka Legislative Council, among others, have made donations toward the upkeep of the woman, pointing out that since then, nobody has been willing to help her financially.

No comments: